Monday, January 11, 2010

New Pressure Cooker Saves the Day!

Well this last Christmas brought 2 new wonderful cooking toys into my kitchen. One was a brand new Artisan style Kitchenaid stand mixer! Whhoooop!! I love it!!

The second was a new Fagor pressure cooker.


This contraption is amazing! I have always feared pressure cookers but I guess the makers have come a long way and now they are very safe to use. I have used this pressure cooker about 5 or 6 times since Christmas. I have made a beef roast in 40 minutes, I have cooked a whole chicken in 30 minutes twice (once to eat as is and another time to make chicken soup). The most amazing feat yet? A pork roast cooked in BBQ sauce, falling off the bone and ready for BBQ pork sandwiches, done in one hour.

Last Sunday this contraption came in handy and saved my dinner. I had put beef stew in my crock pot first thing in the morning so that it would be ready for dinner and company by 6pm. We went to church and then a Memorial service for a dear young friend and didn't get home until 4:30pm. When I checked the stew at 5pm, the potatoes were still hard! What?!!! My crock pot must be dying. So I put half the stew into my pressure cooker for about 6 minutes and Voila finished! Second half done 6 minutes later. The stew was good, and cooked through and through. Whew! That was a close one.

No comments: